The Minecraft game is one full of fun and adventure. However, many players have complained having it is difficult to connect to the LAN server for multiplayer purposes. The fact is, the fun is not complete without your friends. Therefore, we have put this guide together to help you learn how to join a LAN server on MInecraft with no hassle and how to play on the server.
What is a LAN Server and How Do You Play in it on Minecraft?
LAN is an acronym for Local Area Network. When you play on the Minecraft LAN server, what this means is that you are playing with people connected to your local network.
This implies that people outside your world cannot connect to your game. In simpler terms, it means that you are playing on a private network and running a private session.
Connecting via LAN server is the easiest way to play the multiplayer mode on Minecraft. Now, you might wonder how you can join or play on this type of server. Not to worry, the next section of this guide will take care of that.
How to Join in a Minecraft LAN World or Server
There are certain things you have to keep in mind if you are hosting Minecraft on a LAN server. This section will address that to help you make the process seamless.
1. If you are the one hosting the server, ensure that your system meets all requirements.
Make sure you have a powerful PC that can handle the processes without lagging. The reason for this is that hosting a server demands a lot from your system
2. Next, see to it that all your friends who wish to play the game with you are connected to the same network. Otherwise, you will be unable to see them.
Having this in mind, you can then use the steps below to learn how to join a Minecraft LAN server.
1. Launch Minecraft on your PC.
2. Click on the multiplayer mode. This is the second item on the menu list
3. If you do this correctly, your game should start scanning for all servers on the local network.
4. Choose your server and click join server. Your server should be the only one on the server list. You can only see multiple servers if you are playing on a public network such as a gaming house or a cafe.
If you are unable to connect to the server after following the above steps, you can then try the direct connect mode. Here is how to do this:
1. Open Minecraft.
2. Select Multiplayer, then click on Direct Connect.
3. Type in the host’s IP address and the port number.
4. Click to join the server. The server should connect instantly if you correctly entered the IP and port number.
If you are the host, here is how to find your IP number:
- Open Command Prompt.
- Type ipconfig.
- Copy the IPv4 address.
- The port number is usually in the game chat. You can copy that somewhere too.
How to Troubleshoot Issues with the LAN Server
Fix #1: Change Your Firewall Settings
If you cannot join a LAN server on Minecraft, you will need to disable your antivirus software and your Microsoft Windows Defender Firewall.
Alternatively, you can whitelist the Minecraft server. This should fix the issue if the antivirus software interferes with the server.
Fix #2: Ensure Your Minecraft Version is Up to Date
If you or the host is not running the latest version of the game, you may have a problem connecting to the server.
Therefore, ensure that your game versions are up to date. This will enable you to see your friend on the server list and may even help you avoid the Minecraft “Could Not Connect: Outdated Server” error.
Fix #3: Edit Your Antivirus Settings Too
You may also experience difficulty connecting to the server if you have mods and texture packs on your game, especially if they are from unverified sources.
The best way out of this is temporarily adding your Minecraft as an exclusion in the antivirus software.
Fix #4: Reset Your Network Router
Another way out is to reset your network router . We have heard several reports that many game players have been able to fix issues with connecting to the LAN server.
Now that you know how to join a LAN server on Minecraft using the different methods we have shared in this guide, you can enjoy your game without any hassle. These methods have worked for us, and they should work well on your end too.